The fall semester is fast approaching, and that means packing up to head back to school. You’ve got your college-provided check list in one hand and the list of dorm room rules in the other, and you’ve already packed items like shower flip-flops, sheets, and a caddy for your shower supplies. So you’ve got the basics ready to go — but you might be surprised to see what you’re still missing.
Here’s our last minute guide to packing for college.
For Your Room
You’ve packed your twinkle lights and extra sheets — but there’s a few other things you will definitely need to make your life easier.
• Twin XL Foam Mattress Topper. This soft supportive foam topper placed on top of your dorm mattress provides soft, comfortable support. It will help you feel like you are in your bed at home!
• Bed Caddy. Perfect for extra storage and those items you’ll need at your bedside like ear plugs, a water bottle, and tissues. Great for bunk beds!
• Cleaning Supplies. You don’t need a full cadre of supplies to keep your room clean, but an all-surface cleaner or some disposable wipes make a difference.
• Boot/Shoe Tray. No one is cleaning your floors but you, so why not make it easier by having a place to put wet or muddy shoes?
• Hanging Strips. Hang your posters, hooks, and pennants damage free! Buy an assortment of hooks and strips that will come off when you leave. They will also help you to decorate all semester long.
• Extra Lighting. A good floor lamp and a fun desk lamp are a must! They will help keep your room bright for those days you study in your room or work on final projects.
For Your Wardrobe
You might think you’ve got everything you need when it comes to what you’ll be wearing on campus, but you might have forgotten these key items.
• Underwear and Socks. Yes, you’ve probably already thought of this one — but whatever you think you need, pack double. You really cannot have too much.
• Dress Up Clothes. Yes, college is casual – but sometimes you’ll need business wear for on-campus events. Having a business-style outfit can come in handy.
• Work Out Gear & Swimsuit. If your college has a fitness center with a pool, having a suit to wear for either a water workout or just to relax is essential.
• A Bookstore Gift Card. No, you can’t wear it — but you’ll be able to buy some college gear to wear to a tailgate party or replace that hoodie you lost the first week.
• Wrinkle Remover Spray. You could pack an iron and ironing board, or you could just use an anti-wrinkle spray that works on most fabrics. You can buy it, or make your own.
All Things Tech
You know you need your laptop, your phone and table, and your charge cords. But that’s not all you should bring!
• Power strips. Even if you’ve packed one, pack a second one. There are never enough outlets, ever. Your roommates will thank you.
• Laptop Lock. Open door policies are wonderful for meeting other students but less safe for your electronics. A laptop lock can ease your mind.
• Flash Drives. There’s less paper on campus these days, but there’s always one professor who wants you to print out papers.
• A Real Alarm Clock. Yes, you can use the alarm app on your phone — but does it really wake you up in time for class? A traditional alarm clock makes a nice backup.
• Duct/Electrical Tape. Cords for your tech can fray, particularly when you’re putting your tech through the paces at college. Having some tape handy to do a quick repair is handy.
While we doubt these items won’t be allowed in your room, double check to make sure your housing rules allow for everything on this list. Many colleges don’t allow for common items like coffee makers, electric teakettles, hanging Christmas lights, extension cords, toasters, and candles — so make sure you check!
We hope this list helps you feel more prepared to head to campus this fall. Good luck!